Saturday, January 10, 2009

Thoughts on adventure


More adventure is what I need. Heck, it's what everyone needs. I realized this when my Dad was dying of cancer last year. He was talking on the phone with his "black sheep" of the family older brother: Dad was 81. His brother 88. My father was always the responsible one: a salesman, living the suburban life and playing by the rules. His brother was the opposite: he worked at various jobs. Busted up his marriage by having affairs. Built my talented cousin her own painting studio and allowed her never to have to work a real job-she simply developed her painting talent. He rode motorcycles and built and flew small planes. He built a house in Alaska where he and his girlfriend flew in and out on a float plane he built. You get the idea. My father says to his brother, "... in many ways brother, you have outlived me". I was floored and a lightbulb went off. It's not how long you live, but how you live. At that point I knew I had to put together my own "bucket list" full of things I wanted to do NOW! So, here we go. I am learning to dive in February and will do my open water qualification dives in Belize. I am going to sail with my sister and brother-in-law on their 42 foot sail boat in March and am looking to buy a 4x4 to throw a kayak in the back and head to the river.  What my father said rings in my ears. I need to let that inform my life going forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment